Article Text

PDF

26 Cardiovascular magnetic resonance activity in the united kingdom: results of the 2014 bscmr survey
  1. DP Ripley1,
  2. DM Sado2,
  3. GP McCann3,
  4. C Berry4
  1. 1Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre (MCRC) and Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
  2. 2King’s College London, Cardiovascular Division, London, UK
  3. 3Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, and the National Institute of Health Research Leicester Cardiovascular Biomedical Research Unit, Leicester, UK
  4. 4BHF Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre, Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
  5. On behalf of the British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance

Abstract

Conflicts: Nil

Background The 2011 British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (BSCMR) national survey demonstrated a marked year-on-year increase in the number of CMR scans per centre (2008–2010) and in the total number of CMR scans performed annually in the UK overall.1

Methods We undertook the second national survey on behalf of the BSCMR to identify all adult CMR providers within the UK in 2014. The questionnaire was sent to the lead clinician for CMR at each site and electronically reported.

Results Of the 68 adult CMR centres identified in the UK, 55 (81%) responded to the questionnaire. Thirty three (60%) were tertiary cardiac centres and 22 (40%) were district general hospitals. Thirty six hospitals (65%) had a level 3 accredited trainer on site with 559 trainees (87% cardiology) at various levels of training. One hundred and twenty five trainees were at the level 3 stage of training (75% of which were from 5 centres). Thirty three hospitals (60%) had a formal training program for cardiology and 17 (31%) for radiology trainees. The majority of hospitals (44 (80%)) had a quality control program in place.

For activity in 2013: 5 centres (9%) provided no details on total numbers of scans, 9 (16%) performed <300 scans, 14 (25%) 300–500, 7 (13%) 501–1000 and 20 (36%) >1000 scans. The total number of reported scans increased by 253% between 2008 (23,216) and 2013 (58,936). Mean number of scans per centre are shown in Figure 1.

Abstract 26 Figure 1

Annual mean number of CMR scans reported in the 2014 British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Survey between years 2008–2013 inclusive (2008:704 scans (range 10–5500); 2009:828 (10–5600); 2010:893 (65–5700); 2011:1007 (35–6000); 2012:1058 (40–6200); 2013:1179 (48–6500))

Conclusion There is evidence of a sustained increase in CMR service provision in the UK. Most centres provide a CMR training program and quality assurance.

Acknowledgements We would like to thank Drs S. Nair, M. Motwani, V. Ferriera, E. McAlindon, N. Edwards, D. Carrick, M. Goonewardene, A. McDiarmid, A. Uddin, S. Kannoly and H. Douglas for their help with this audit.

Reference

  1. Anthony R et al. JCMR 2011;13:57

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.