Article Text

PDF

What proportion of patients with myocardial infarction are suitable for thrombolysis?
  1. N Murray,
  2. J Lyons,
  3. C Layton,
  4. R Balcon

    Abstract

    Four hundred and three patients were considered for entry into a trial of intravenous streptokinase in suspected myocardial infarction. Three hundred and sixty seven (91%) were excluded. Two hundred and sixty (65%) did not meet the inclusion criteria and 45 of the remaining 143 (35%) patients had contraindications to thrombolysis. This left 98 (24%) patients who were suitable for thrombolysis and 42 of them were over 70 years, the upper age limit. Thus according to this trial protocol 56 (14%) patients were eligible for recruitment; 36 (9%) patients were finally randomised. These data suggest that treatment with intravenous streptokinase may be applicable to only a small proportion of patients with myocardial infarction.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.