Article Text

PDF

Assessment of reperfusion of the infarct zone after acute myocardial infarction by serial cardiac troponin T measurements in serum.
  1. A. Remppis,
  2. T. Scheffold,
  3. O. Karrer,
  4. J. Zehelein,
  5. C. Hamm,
  6. E. Grünig,
  7. C. Bode,
  8. W. Kübler,
  9. H. A. Katus
  1. Innere Medizin, University of Heidelberg, Germany.

    Abstract

    BACKGROUND--The purpose of this study was to derive indices of reperfusion and non-reperfusion after acute myocardial infarction (AMI) from changes in serum concentrations of cardiac troponin T and to test the predictive value of these indices. METHODS--The indices were derived from a retrospective analysis of changes in serum troponin T concentration in 71 patients given thrombolytic treatment who had immediate and late angiography (group 1). These troponin T indices were first tested in a blinded and prospective study of 53 consecutive patients eligible for thrombolytic therapy (group 2). They were then used for the non-invasive assessment of reperfusion of AMI in 48 patients (group 3). RESULTS--In group 1 troponin T serum concentration curves were biphasic in patients who had reperfusion < or = 5.8 h after the onset of symptoms. Release of the cytosolic troponin T pool resulted in a peak at 14 h and ended at 38 h. The probability of reperfusion was > 95% when the ratio of peak cytosolic troponin T concentration to concentration at 38 h (PV1/38) exceeded 1.42 or the ratio of troponin T concentration at 14 h to that at 38 hours (14/38) exceeded 1.09. The probability of the presence of non-reperfused AMI was < 5% when troponin T PV1/38 and 14/38 ratios were < 0.99 and < 0.84 respectively. These discriminatory values of troponin T indices correctly classified (efficiency 96%) 48 of the 53 group 2 patients in whom immediate and late angiography were performed. When troponin T indices were used to classify 48 group 3 patients who were not studied by immediate angiography, thrombolytic therapy was deemed to have been successful in 82% of the treated patients, with spontaneous recanalisation in 11% and 23% of the non-treated patients assessed by PV1/38 and 14/38 respectively. CONCLUSION--The PV1/38 or 14/38 ratios of serum troponin T concentration indicated the effectiveness of thrombolytic therapy in achieving reperfusion of AMI.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.