Article Text

PDF

Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease
Study on epidemiological characteristics and risk factors of stroke among adult residents in the urban areas of Tianjin
  1. Wan Zheng,
  2. Li Yongle,
  3. Sun Yuemin,
  4. Bu Yuntao,
  5. Yu Xuefang,
  6. Yao Wei
  1. Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Tianjin, China

Abstract

Objective To investigate the epidemiological characteristics and risk factors of stroke among adult residents in the urban areas of Tianjin, and provide references for directive population intervention.

Methods A total of 28 515 residents aged above 18 years (including 18 years) in the urban areas of Tianjin were investigated through questionnaires. Eight hundred and twenty six patients of stroke were detected, consisting 691 patients with only cerebral arterial thrombosis, 117 patients with only haemorrhagic apoplexy and 18 patients with both conditions. Physical examination included measurement of blood pressure, height, weight, waist circumference and hip circumference. Logistic regression analysis was used for multivariate analysis.

Results (1) The prevalence rates of stroke, cerebral arterial thrombosis and hemorrhagic apoplexy were 2.897%, 2.486% and 0.473%, while the age adjusted prevalence rates were 1.290%, 1.073% and 0.250%, respectively. (2) Stroke prevalence rate increased with age, with the rates being higher among males than females (p=0.000). (3) Stroke prevalence rate decreased as the educational level and per capita income increased (p=0.036 and 0.001, respectively). (4) Han people made up 96.44% of the population investigated, and the remaining 3.56% being non-Han origin. There was no statistical difference of stroke prevalence rates between Han and those of non-Han origin (p=0.246). (5) The stroke prevalence rates were 1.27 times higher in population with abdominal obesity than those without abdominal obesity (p=0.021), 5.94 times higher in population with hypertension than those without hypertension (p=0.000), 3.19 times higher in population with dyslipidemia than those without dyslipidemia (p=0.000), and 2.33 times higher in population with diabetes mellitus than those without diabetes mellitus (p=0.000). (6) Logistic regression analysis showed that higher educational levels and per capita income were protective factors, but male gender, age, hypertension, dyslipidemia and diabetes mellitus were risk factors, especially for hypertension, which had the highest OR value (OR=4.225, p=0.000).

Conclusions There is a high prevalence rate of stroke in the urban adult population of Tianjin, and the risk factors should be well controlled, especially for hypertension.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.