Article Text

Download PDFPDF
52 Retrospective analysis of the effectiveness of nurse-led clinic for patients post percutanous coronary intervention
  1. A Ibrahim,
  2. M Heelan,
  3. J Coffey,
  4. H McElligott,
  5. C Coyne,
  6. C Cahill,
  7. K Mannix,
  8. C Ahern,
  9. T Kiernan
  1. University Hospital Limerick, Limerick, Ireland


Background With an increasing global prevalence, of coronary heart disease, secondary prevention forms a major cornerstone of management. A dedicated nurse-led clinic for patients post percutanous coronary intervention (PCI) offers a great opportunity to address risk factors in order to reduce cardiovascular events.

Purpose To determine the effectiveness of nurse-led clinic follow up of patients post PCI and the rate of 28 day re-admission.

Method A retrospective review of parameters recorded at clinic appointments from January 2015- December 2017. The data of 1325 patients were examined for baseline characteristics, re-admission rates and interventions at their PCI clinic visits.

Results 1325 patients were reviewed in our nurse-led PCI clinic. Mean age was 64% and 78% were males. The main indications for PCI were ST- elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) (22.7%), Non-STEMI (23%) and angina (43%) (table 1). At the clinic appointment, 852 (64.3%) patients were offered lifestyle advice or non-pharmacological intervention. The remainder 473 (35.70%) patients had appropriate pharmacological intervention (change in dose, addition or discontinuation of medications) (figure 1). 712 (53.7%) patients had LDL-C above recommended target and their statin therapy was amended accordingly. 132 patients (10%) were re-admitted within 28 days after the follow-up visit. However, only 23 (1.7%) were re-admitted due to cardiac reasons (figure 2).

Abstract 52 Table 1

Indications for percutaneous coronary intervention

Conclusion Nurse-led PCI clinics are a safe and effective option for follow-up of patients post PCI. They provide satisfactory assessment and management of risk factors without increased risk of poor outcomes.

Abstract 52 Figure 1

Intervention at PCI clinic visit

Abstract 52 Figure 2

The 28 day re-admission rate

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.