Aims To present the short and intermediate term results of coil occlusion of persistent ductus arteriosus and the results of radiographic measurements of spring coils implanted to treat patent ducts.
Patients 22 children underwent coil occlusion. Their ages ranged from 2 years 9 months to 12 years 10 months (mean (SD) age, 6.5 (3.6) years). The duct diameter ranged from 1.0 to 3.5 mm at the narrowest point (mean 2.6 (0.7) mm). In 11 of the children regular coils were implanted using the non-attached system, while in the other 11 the detachable coil embolisation system was used.
Results 12 children (55%) had no significant residual leaks immediately after procedures involving a single coil delivery. The remaining 10 (45%) had residual leaks immediately after the procedure, although no patient with a large duct showed residual leakage 18 months after the procedure. Radiographic measurement of the coils showed that all implanted coils retracted to 65–85% of their original size immediately after occlusion. This retraction was more evident in patients showing spontaneous closure of the residual shunt or having a coil 8 mm in diameter.
Conclusions Coil embolisation is an acceptable method for occluding persistent ductus arteriosus. Retraction of implanted coils is common in the follow up period. Such retraction may be related to spontaneous closure of residual shunt after embolisation.
- persistent ductus arteriosus
- catheter occlusion
- coil embolisation
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.