- Professor Allan Struthers, Department of Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK email:
- First published September 1, 2000.
- Additional references for "The diagnosis of heart failure". by Allan Struthers. Heart 2000;84:334-338.
- Choy AM, Darbar D, Lang CC, et al. Detection of LV dysfunction after acute MI - comparison of clinical, echocardiographic and neurohormonal methods. Br Heart J 1994;72:16-22.
- Gillespie N, McNeill G, Pringle T, et al. Cross sectional study of contribution of clinical assessment and simple cardiac investigations to the diagnosis of LV systolic dysfunction in patients admitted with acute dyspnoea. BMJ 1997;314:936-40.
- Darbar D, Gillesie N, Choy AM, et al. Diagnosing LV dysfunction after a myocardial infarction: the Dundee algorithm. QJM 1997;90:677-83.
- Remes J, Miettinen H, Reunanen, et al. Validity of clinical diagnosis of heart failure in primary health care. Eur Heart J 1991;12:315-21.
- Clarke HW, Gray D, Hampton JR. Evidence of inadequate investigation and treatment of patients with heart failure. Br Heart J 1994;71:584-7.
- Guidelines for the evaluation and management of heart failure. Report on the ACC/AHA Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Evaluation and Management of Heart Failure). Circulation 1995;92:2764-84.
- Stevenson LW, Perloff JK. The Limited reliability of physical signs for estimating haemodynamics in CHF. JAMA 1989;261:884-8.
- Colquhoun MC, Waine C, Monaghan MJ, et al. Investigation in general practice of patients with suspected heart failure: how should the essential echocardiographic service be delivered. Br J Gen Pract 1995;45:517-19.
- Houghton AR, Sparrow NJ, Toms E, et al. Should GPs use the ECG to select patients with suspected heart failure for echocardiography? Int J Cardiol 1997;62:31-6.
- Hobbs FDR. Primary care physicians: champions of or an impediment to optimal care of the patient with heart failure. European Journal of Heart Failure 1999;1:11-15.
- DeBono D. Development and future of open access echocardiography. Hospital Medicine 1998;59:600-2.
- Inglesfield JW. Open access echocardiography. Lancet 1996;349:1386-7.
- Rimington H, Adam G, Chambers J. Open access echocardiography. Lancet 1996;348:555-5.
- Mair FS, Bundred PE. The diagnosis and management of heart failure: GP opinions. Br J Cardiol 1996;3:121-5.
- Murphy JJ, Frain JP, Ramesh P, et al. Open-access echocardiography to general practitioners for suspected heart failure. Br J Gen Pract 1996;46:475-6.
- Levin ER, Gardner DG, Samson WK. Natriuretic peptides. N Engl J Med 1998;339:321-8.
- Talway S, Squiare IIB, Davies JE, et al. Plasma N-terminal pro BNP and the ECG in the assessment of LBV systolic dysfunction in a high risk population. Eur Heart J 1999;20:1736-44.
- Nielsen OW, Hansen JF, Hilden J, et al. Risk assessment of LV systolic dysfunction in primary care: cross sectional study evaluating a range of diagnostic tests. BMJ 2000;320:220-4.
- Tsutamoto T, Wada A, Mnaeda K, et al. Plasma BNP as a biochemical marker of morbidity and mortality in patients with asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic LV dysfunction. Eur Heart J 1999;20:1799-807.
- Northridge DB, Newby DE, Rooney E, et al. Comparison of short term effects of condozatril, an orally active neutral endopeptidase inhibitor and frusemide in the treatment of patients with CHF. Am Heart J 1999;138:1149-57.
- Richards AM, Nicholls MG, Yandle TG, et al. Plasma N-terminal proBNP and adrenomedullin. Circulation 1998;97:1921-9.
- Omland T, Aakvaag A, et al. Plasma cardiac natriuretic peptide determination as a screening test for the detection of patients with mild LV impairment. Heart 1996;76:232-7.
- Yashamoto K, Burnett JB. et al. Superiority of BNP as abnormal marker of ventricular systolic and diastolic dysfunction and ventricular hypertrophy. Hypertension 1996;28:988-94.
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Diagnosis and Treatment of Heart Failure due to LV systolic dysfunction. Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh: SIGN Secretariat, 1999.
- Eccles M, Freemantle N, Mason J. North of England evidence based guideline development project: guideline for ACWE inhibitors in primary care management of adult with symptomatic heart failure. BMJ 1998;316:1369-75.
- Hillis GS, Trent RJ, Winton P, et al. Angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors in the management of cardiac failure: are we ignoring the evidence? QJM 1996;89:145-50.
- Chakko S, Woska D, Martinez H, et al. Clinical, radiographic, and haemodynamic correlations in chronic congestive heart failure: conflicting results may lead to inappropriate care. Am J Med 1991;90:353-9.
- Badgett RG, Lucey CR, Mulrow CD. Can the clinical examination diagnose left-sided heart failure in adults. JAMA 1997;277:1712-19.
- Butman SM, Ewy GA, Standen JR, et al. Bedside cardiovascular examination in patients with severe chronic heart failure: importance of rest on inducible jugular venous distension. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;22:968-74.
- O�Neill TW, Barr M, Smith M, et al. Diagnostic value of the apex beat. Lancet 1989;i:410-11.
- Ishmail AA, Wing S, Ferguson J, et al. Interobserver agreement by auscultation in the presence of a third heart sound I patients with congestive heart failure. Chest 1987;91:870-3.
- Madwen EB, Gilpin E, Slutsky RA, et al. Usefulness of the chest x-ray for predicting abnormal left ventricular function after acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J 1984;108:1431-6.
- Philbin EF, Garg R, Danisa K, et al. The relationship between cardiothoracic ratio and left ventricular ejection fraction in congestive heart failure. Digitalis Investigations Group. Arch Inten Med 1998;159:501-6.
- Rihal CS, Davis KB, Kennedy JW, et al. The utility of clinical electrocardiographic, and roentgenographic variables in the prediction of left ventricular function. Am J Cardiol 1994;75:220-3.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.