Article Text

Download PDFPDF
The role of echocardiography in diagnosing double chambered right ventricle in adults
  1. P Hoffman1,
  2. A W Wójcik1,
  3. J Różański2,
  4. H Siudalska1,
  5. E Jakubowska1,
  6. E K Włodarska1,
  7. M Kowalski1
  1. 1Department of Congenital Heart Diseases, Institute of Cardiology, Warsaw, Poland
  2. 2Department of Cardiac Surgery, Institute of Cardiology, Warsaw
  1. Correspondence to:
    Dr Anna Wójcik
    National Institute of Cardiology, Department of Congenital Heart Diseases, 04-628 Warszawa, Alpejska 42, Poland;


Objective: To evaluate the utility of echocardiography in diagnosing double chambered right ventricle (DCRV) in adults.

Design: A retrospective study.

Setting: Department of Congenital Heart Diseases and Department of Cardiac Surgery, Institute of Cardiology, Warsaw, Poland.

Patients: 32 patients, mean age 32.5 years, 21 female, and 11 male.

Intervention: Transthoracic (TTE) and transoesophageal (TOE) echocardiographic examination in patients with suspected DCRV.

Main outcome measures: Direct inspection during surgical treatment of 28 patients diagnosed as having DCRV as an isolated lesion or associated with other pathologies.

Results: Echocardiography allowed the final diagnosis of DCRV in 26 patients (81%) out of 32 studied. TTE was diagnostic in 5 (15.6%) whereas TOE was diagnostic in 21 of 21 studied by this technique. Of 6 patients with negative TTE, DCRV was identified by cardiac catheterisation in 3 and directly during surgery in the remaining 3. Of 26 patients diagnosed by echocardiography, the anomalous muscle bundle was discrete in 20 (77%) and diffuse in 6 (23%). In 23 patients (88%) right ventricular outflow obstruction was localised low in the right ventricle, and in the remaining 3 (11.5%), the obstruction was localised high in the right ventricle. Abnormal bundles localised high were discrete, bundles localised in the lower part of right ventricle were discrete in 17 (74%) and diffuse in the remaining 6 (26%). DCRV was an isolated lesion in only 2 patients (6.2%). In all subjects surgical inspection confirmed echocardiographic data.

Conclusions: Echocardiography was very useful to diagnose DCRV in adults as well as to identify its anatomic type. Comparing two different approaches, TOE better defines the entire scope of pathology, including estimation of the resultant systolic pressure gradient within the right ventricular cavity.

  • DCRV, double chambered right ventricle
  • TOE, transoesophageal echocardiography
  • TTE, transthoracic echocardiography
  • VSD, ventricular septal defect
  • double chambered right ventricle
  • echocardiography

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.